16th
September
In todays lesson to start preparing for the Cherry Orchard assessment
in week 8 we started to look at the Laban Efforts
We started to look at this method as it will help us start
to create a character and a sense of what our character in the show would be
like. It is only used as a starting methods it also helped us to see what
little differences in the body can impact in the scene as we showed the class a
piece that we had made in pairs.
We were provided a sheet of movement and sequences that
would help for example a punch comes from strong weight it’s sudden in time and
direct in direction. We were then asked to explore these different movements
and walk round the room developing characters and exploring ways to move in
these forms. I found the exercise useful to me as an actor as I was not
thinking of the weight or direction of the character so early on in the process
and it made me think of how different characters in The Cherry Orchard would be
like.
We were then given the scenes that we will be performing in
for the assessment and told to get into the groups of people in the scene. I was
in three different groups so I did find it a bit of a challenge to get round
and have an in depth look at the scene but in each group we started by just
reading through the scene and exploring each character just by their speech to
start off with.
I got the character of Gayev he seems to be very distracted
by a mental game of pool in his head that he blurts out in lines some of the
time he also does not have much respect for the lower class and finding meaning
for his lines was sometimes hard as he never thinks what he says he just says
them.
Group 4 start on page 311 and we are discussing selling the
orchard to help with money. Throughout my scene I am mostly giving opinions on different
situations for example the fact having the railway is a good thing in town or
the line either he goes, or I do.
Group 7 we start on page 336 and this is just when the
orchard has been sold and we are going through different emotions. This scene I
am emotional shown through my first stage directions with his right he is
wiping away his tears or me saying I’m horribly tired, finding excuses to leave
so I just go to bed instead.
Group 9 we start on page 348 and this is the last scene and
we are just leaving the house to go to the train station. I am much more caring
n the last seen as I worry about my sister and call for her a lot to make sure she’s
ok. I also say my friends my dear good friends leaving this house forever can I
stand silent can I refrain from saying a word of farewell.
If I did not understand parts of the script I highlighted
them to research and look more into when I was at home.
Me and Michael then worked with each other to decide what we
thought this character was like as a person and his relationships with other
characters and also the super objectives of this character.
Together we found out that throughout the play Gayev mostly
will agree with his sister Ravensky
It also seems to have some conflict with yasha throughout
the show. Most of his objective are to : agree, be successful , inform, tell ,
entertain we found out he is very opinionated
and sometimes comes off as rude to other people but his super objective we both decided was
that he wished to look after his family
We started to look at these questions of what people say about
my character
What my character says about other people and what he says
about himself.
It really helped me by looking at opinions on himself and
others towards him or his attitude to others all this research is on my
character profile which will be published soon. As an actor the process helped
me to make descions on how I should play my character and in the next couple
weeks how my character should react on stage.
To the end of the lesson we in character groups were told to
come up with a sequence of movements for our character to perform together
Michael and I decided to show the business side of his character and stressed
and at work I think once it was all put together with other characters it
looked ok but the stage looked to cramped and people were too much standing
near each other it may look nicer with more space between people.

No comments:
Post a Comment