Friday, 5 September 2014

28th August Thursday

28th August Thursday

The first day back for 6th form after a long summer ready to dive into some work.
During the morning we walk into the room I accidently went to the wrong assembly causing me to be late. Walking into the room and seeing all the new faces I had the feeling this was going to be a good two years.

After speeches and introducing to teachers for the next two years we split of into tutors for the chance to get to know more people. We started off with an exercise where we had to remember 3 interesting facts of the student standing next to us and then go tell that information to someone else. I think the reasons for this were to learn about people in the room but instead of just speaking to them after this we went onto the hugging game (very competitive) (you will get hurt) a name is shouted out and you must have that number of people hugging just to get us connected a bit more, same as the hand and feet game where a number of hands and feet touching the ground is given to a group of 6 and they must only have that number touching the floor. I’m glad we played these games as if we didn’t I don’t think we would have been as comftable with each other in the tutor and it gave us the chance to connect. My favourite part of tutor was standing in a circle and each having to RAP a few lines about yourself I’m not sure if it would have been easier if we knew the people in the room or if it was a good thing we didn’t.

We all split off into smaller groups and discussed the play The Cherry Orchard which was to be read over the summer holidays. My group discussed the main themes of the play and the character and how they were different or hidden meanings to their characters. This little group was insightful it opened me up to more ideas that I did not think of while reading the book for example The Cherry Orchard may have represented Russia and all the happy memories from childhood. We then went on into different groups to pick out lines from a different act each that linked to the thought of memories or the past.Right from the start of the play there is links to the past after the break these groups we went into devised a minute piece all to do with memories my group focused on the thought of every time you remember something you forget a little bit off that thought. My group tried to show an audience this by being the same person but going through different times and forgetting bits of stories. After the first time just going through our piece I was happy and when all the groups re-joined in tutor to share theirs I knew this was going to be a piece I was proud of, Sarah also took the idea of The Cherry Orchard and made an ensemble piece where we plant a seed and say facts about the memory at the start This was an excellent decision as right from the start it will be able to show the other tutors that we were performing to the day after that are piece was about memory. For the end of our piece we needed something and there was an exercise we had used earlier that day that was perfect to fit in with the piece where we described to someone while they have eyes closed and they must draw it with hands leaving their imagination to picture it.

After leaving that day I was really happy and engaged with the ideas of the day and excited about showing the other tutors the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment